This blog was written after the Hanfincal (hanfincal.com) team went to the grocery store, and a woman asked us: Does Instacart take EBT? Here is the answer to that question. That can help many low-income families use their SNAP benefits easier.
1. What is an EBT card?
EBT card (Electronic Benefits Transfer card) is a card-based system similar to a debit card that allows Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) participants to pay for food with SNAP benefits. When participants shop at a SNAP authorized retail store, their SNAP EBT account is debited to reimburse the groceries for the food purchased.
2. Does Instacart take EBT?
Yes, you can use your EBT card (food stamps) for grocery delivery on Instacart. You can buy items from stores near you, with over 500 retailers and trusted local grocers across North America.
If you have SNAP benefits and use your EBT to buy groceries, you can use Instacart to find several stores and avoid the delivery or pick-up fee. It always applies to orders with a minimum of $35.
Another question many are still concerned about is: Can you use food stamps on Instacart? Yes, you absolutely can. Bear in mind that Food Stamps, SNAP, or EBT cards are also the same things.
3. Which states and which grocery stores on Instacart accept EBT?
Following the question of does Instacart accept EBT, SNAP participants pay close attention to which states or grocery stores on Instacart accept EBT.
To kick-off, in which states can you pay for your Instacart order with an EBT card? Here is a list of states in the United States; take notes if you wish:
- District of Columbia,
- New Hampshire,
- New Jersey,
- New York,
- North Carolina,
- North Dakota,
- Rhode Island,
- South Carolina,
- South Dakota,
- West Virginia,
Next, here are some grocery stores on Instacart that accept EBT:
- Food Lion,
- Publix, Lucky Supermarkets, Save Mart, and FoodMaxx,
- Price Chopper,
- Market 32,
- Market Bistro.
4. How to use an EBT card on Instacart?
Add your EBT card to your current Instacart account to begin using EBT grocery delivery. On the platform, you must confirm that the information on your card is correct and up to date. A debit or credit card must also be linked to the account. This covers expenses such as tips, taxes, and bottle deposits that SNAP does not cover.
Then, to successfully add your EBT card, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Go to the Instacart website or use your smartphone to launch the Instacart app.
- Step 2: Once you’ve arrived on the platform, navigate to your account. Pay attention to the three horizontal lines in the top left corner of your app. Select “Account settings.” Then click on your name and select “Your Account” from the website’s menu.
- Step 3: Once on your account page, select “Payment methods.”
- Step 4: You will see the “EBT SNAP Card” label on this page. Select “Add” by clicking on this.
- Step 5: A new screen will appear, allowing you to enter your name and account number.
- Step 6: When you’re finished, save your information.
5. How to remove an EBT card on Instacart?
Follow these simple instructions to remove or replace an EBT card:
- Step 1: Navigate to the Instacart platform. On the app, select the hamburger menu in the upper left corner. You will see a dropdown menu appear, from which you will choose “Account.” Click on your name and select “Account.”
- Step 2: Select “Your account settings.”
- Step 3: Select “Your payment methods.”
- Step 4: Select “Edit,” just as you did when adding an EBT card.
- Step 5: The information from your current EBT card will appear. Choose the card you want to delete.
- Step 6: A pencil icon will appear if you are on the app. To remove the card, click “Delete” and then “Save.” Click the three dots next to the card in the web version and then choose “Delete.”
6. Can you pay Instacart delivery and service fees with an EBT card?
EBT cards cannot be used to pay for Instacart delivery and service fees. According to the program’s guidelines, SNAP benefits can only be used to purchase eligible food items.
The SNAP guidelines specify what items can be purchased with the benefits. Only eligible foods can be purchased with an EBT card, and the benefits do not cover Instacart delivery and service fees.
Hanfincal (hanfincal.com) hopes that the woman mentioned at the beginning of the post can read this article and find out her answer to Does Instacart take EBT? Aside from Instacart, you can also use them in most other grocery stores. Don’t forget to follow us to explore which grocery stores you can use your EBT card to buy food.