What can you buy with EBT? Using your SNAP benefits wisely allows you to take advantage of the benefits provided by the United States government while also avoiding violations of SNAP regulations. Find out what items you can buy with your EBT card by visiting Hanfincal.
1. What food can you buy with an EBT card?
You can buy staple foods, seeds, plants, and accessory foods with an EBT card/ Food Stamps/ SNAP.
1.1. Accessory foods
You can use your EBT card to buy spices, oils, and sweeteners. You can also buy snacks, desserts, and beverages to go along with your meals. These are some examples:
- Sweeteners include honey, maple syrup, cane sugar, and other natural or artificial sweeteners.
- Seasonings and spices (powdered, dried, or extracted).
- Baked items.
- Water, soda, iced tea, lemonade, fruit and vegetable juices, and some energy drinks are all acceptable.
- Cake and brownie batters.
- Vanilla ice cream.
- Snacks such as pretzels, potato chips, and popcorn.
- Ketchup, mustard, and other condiments.
1.2. Seeds and plants
The next answer to what you can buy with food stamps is seeds and plants. Growing your own plants or vegetables is a good way to work toward a more sustainable goal for the quality of your family’s meals. Furthermore, SNAP will assist you in doing so. You can purchase seeds and plant starts under program guidelines, which can be more cost-effective than buying produce at the store over time.
However, if you want to keep chickens in your yard, you can’t use SNAP to buy them or the eggs they’ll hatch from; the program forbids buying live animals except for shellfish, other seafood, and animals slaughtered before they’re sold.
1.3. Staple foods
Some staple foods you can use an EBT card to buy such as:
- Meat, poultry, and fish (fresh, frozen, or canned).
- Fruits and vegetables (fresh, frozen, or canned).
- Bread and cereal.
- Dairy (fresh or shelf-stable).
Let’s look at how to apply for food stamps now that you’ve learned everything there is to know about SNAP. To get the step-by-step instructions, click the button below.
2. What you can not buy with Food Stamps?
You cannot buy pharmacy items, personal hygiene products, pet food, beer, wine, liquor and hot food/meals with your Food Stamps.
2.1. Pharmacy items
SNAP will not cover any prescription or over-the-counter drug, vitamin, or supplement. Also, be mindful of your beverage choices; certain sports and energy drinks will not qualify for SNAP benefits unless they include a Nutrition Facts label. Drinks that only have a Supplement Facts label do not qualify.
2.2. Personal hygiene products
Soap, deodorant, household cleaners, diapers, baby wipes, toothpaste, mouthwash, and makeup are not considered food, so SNAP does not cover them.
2.3. Pet food
Pet food is another “no” according to SNAP guidelines. However, canned food such as canned or bagged tuna, chicken, or other protein can be used by your pet instead. Don’t be too strict when shopping; buy foods on the allowed list but use them for different purposes as long as you don’t waste them.
2.4. Beer, wine, and liquor
Alcohol cannot be purchased with SNAP benefits. This is true even if it is available in a grocery store.
2.5. Hot food/meals
Even if you’re in a grocery store, you can’t use your SNAP benefits for hot food at the point of sale. This is because the program only covers “foods intended for home preparation and consumption.”
3. Where can you use your EBT card?
- Convenience stores, even in some gas stations that accept EBT
- Supermarkets and Grocery stores that accept EBT
- Specialty food shops such as fish markets that take EBT
- Farmers markets.
- Online or Pick-up order at every food delivery app takes EBT
- Fast Food restaurants that take EBT
However, regardless of the stores listed above, you must purchase foods on the authorized list, thereby receiving SNAP benefits.
Some TASTY & CHEAP SNAP-eligible groceries with FREE delivery that we highly recommend for you.
Have you made a list of what can you buy with EBT yet? Take these notes with you every time you go shopping to avoid buying foods that aren’t on the list. This action can protect your budget. If you have any questions about SNAP or EBT, don’t hesitate to get in touch with Hanfincal.
===> Read More: