If you or your loved ones are living in Pennsylvania, do not miss this chance to discover how to apply for Section 8 in Pennsylvania (PA) to obtain affordable housing in this state. Here are step-by-step guidelines from Hanfincal that will be valuable for you. Dive into it now.
1. Application instructions for Pennsylvania Section 8 Housing
Section 8 housing in Pennsylvania is a component of the federal Housing Choice Voucher Program funded by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Through the HUD and the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA), this program is intended to assist disabled, elderly, low-income families in obtaining safe and affordable housing.
In Pennsylvania, this housing program is administered at the local level by Public Housing Authorities (PHAs), and there are nearly 90 PHAs here.
Section 8 participants can select a suitable home unit in the public housing market that meets the required standards of the HUD. You are then given a subsidy to cover the cost of rent above the required 30% of your income.
2. Who can qualify for Section 8 in Pennsylvania (PA)?
To qualify for a Section 8 HCV in Pennsylvania, you must meet 3 requirements below:
- Citizenship: You must be a U.S citizen or have eligible immigration status with all necessary legal documentation.
- Income limits:
- your family income has to be at or below 50% of the area median income,
- or if your income is above 50% but less than 80%, with the following additional requirements:
- it is displayed due to mortgage prepayment,
- you continue to receive public housing or Section 8 assistance,
- you are a non-purchasing household in specific homeownership programs.
- Criminal history: You must not have been evicted from Section 8 or another type of public housing, and you must not have a drug-related criminal record.
3. How to apply for Section 8 in Pennsylvania?
To apply for Section 8 in Pennsylvania, contact or visit your local PHA to see if a waiting list is open. If it is still active, you can get an application from the PHA office. Click here to find the Public Housing Authority office closest to you.
Determine whether you can qualify for this program or not based on the eligibility requirements. Then, the following steps are to fill out the application online via a website or in-person, complete all details, and attach all required documents before submitting them to PHA. For individuals who are elderly or disabled and cannot attend the interview in person, HUD offers a phone interview.
PHA will notify you once your application has been approved and your name has been added to the list. The next step you can do is to find the landlord and the PHA will pay about 70% of your monthly rent to your landlord.
4. Pennsylvania Section 8 Waiting Lists Open Now
There are 28 Section 8 Waiting Lists that are open now in Pennsylvania until further notice:
- Adams County, Pennsylvania.
- Beaver County, PA Section 8 HCV Waiting List.
- Bucks County, PA Mainstream Section 8 HCV Waiting List.
- Bucks County, Pennsylvania Family Unification Program (FUP).
- Butler County, PA Section 8 HCV Waiting List.
- Cambria County, PA Section 8 HCV Waiting List.
- Carbon County, Pennsylvania.
- Clarion and Forest County, Pennsylvania.
- Columbia County, Pennsylvania.
- Cumberland County.
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania.
- DuBois Housing Authority.
- Fayette County Housing Authority.
- Housing Authority of Centre County.
- Housing Authority of Indiana County.
- Huntingdon County Housing Authority.
- Lawrence County, PA Section 8 HCV Waiting List.
- Lebanon County Housing Authority.
- McKean County, Pennsylvania.
- Mercer County, Pennsylvania.
- Mifflin County Housing Authority.
- Schuylkill County Housing Authority.
- Sunbury Housing Authority.
- Susquehanna County Housing & Redevelopment Authority.
- The Wyoming County Housing and Redevelopment Authorities.
- Tioga and Bradford County, PA Section 8 HCV Waiting List.
- Venango County, Pennsylvania.
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania.
How to apply for Section 8 in Pennsylvania (PA)? After reading this article from Hanfincal, are you confident about what you should do? Act from now, and you will obtain this incredible voucher someday. If you want to check any information about your application or your approval process, contact the Philadelphia Regional Office or the Pittsburgh Field Office.
==> Read More:
- How To Apply For Section 8?
- What Is Section 8 Housing?
- How To Get Section 8 Immediately?
- How To Find Section 8 Housing?
- Section 8 Waiting List That Are Open Now
- How To Qualify For Section 8 Housing?
- How To Get Low Income Housing Fast?
- What Is Affordable Housing?
- Newest Entitled Low-Income Housing Programs
- How To Apply For Rental Assistance?
- What Does Subsidized Housing Mean?
- How To Apply For Food Stamps In Pennsylvania?
How long is Pennsylvania’s Section 8 waiting list?
Thanks for leaving us a comment, Kadence. For the question, the waitlists for Section 8 housing in Pennsylvania are among the longest. Applicants may wait a year or even more for a housing voucher.
I have already gotten approved for section 8 in PA. My family has 5 people, and we wanna rent a house with 3 bedrooms. How much is a 3 bedroom voucher in PA?
Hi Abril, As we know, Section 8 in PA with pay you about $1274.00 – $1430.00 for a 3-bedroom house. Hope you gonna rent a great house soon. Have a nice day!
Is there any section 8 waiting list available in PA right now? Thanks in advance
Hi Markus, as of May 24, 2022, 29 Section 8 waiting lists are open, opening shortly, or always open in Pennsylvania. However, the waitlists for Section 8 housing in Pennsylvania are among the longest. Therefore, if you want to apply for section 8 in PA, you should do it ASAP.