If you are a low-income family, you may eligible to apply for Section 8 to get a housing voucher. But, do you know “What is Section 8 Housing and how does it work?” To help your way to get these housing voucher fastly and smoothly, Hanfincal (hanfincal.com) will show you what does Section 8 mean in this article.

1. What is Section 8 Housing?

Section 8 Housing is the federal government’s program that provides assistance for low-income families to access a safe and sanitary house. This program is authorized under the Housing Act of 1937 and is administered and funded by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). However, the vouchers are handled by local Public Housing Authorities (PHA).

The housing in this program can be an apartment, single-family homes, or townhouses and is not restricted to units in subsidized housing buildings. If you qualify for Section 8 Housing, you just need to pay 30% of your monthly rent. The PHA will pay the remaining 70% directly to your landlord.

There are 2 programs in Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, including:

  • Tenant-based rental assistance.
  • Project-based Voucher.

If you wonder how to get Section 8 Vouchers easily, we will help with a full guideline depending on your state with NO COST!

RECEIVE SECTION 8 VOUCHER FAST

2. How does Section 8 work?

Here are how Section 8 works:

  • First, the applicants must qualify for the program before applying.
  • There are 2 programs that eligible applicants can choose to apply: a housing choice voucher or a project-based voucher.
    • A housing choice voucher allows tenants to select the apartment they want to live in, as long as it meets the program’s requirements.
    • A project-based voucher matches tenants with particular Section 8 housing units selected by landlords.
  • Based on family size and location, the PHA will provide vouchers for a specified number of bedrooms.
  • If your application is accepted, you will be picked at random and placed on a waiting list.
  • If you are accepted and move into a Section 8 apartment, the government has legal restrictions on how much rent you may be asked to pay.

3. What are the eligibility requirements of Section 8?

There are 3 eligibility requirements that applicants must meet when applying for Section 8:

  • Income limits: Your income can not be more than 50% of the local area median income (AMI), according to HUD. The income limits are also based on your household size and other factors.
  • Citizenship status: You must be a U.S resident or qualified alien.
  • Criminal history and eviction history: In case you or a member of your family have a criminal or eviction record, you may be denied from any of the Section 8 program by your local PHA.
What Is Section 8 Housing

What are the eligibility requirements of Section 8?

4. How to apply for Section 8 assistance?

To apply for a Section 8 program, you can do 4 following steps:

Step 1Determine your eligibility

You can work with the local PHA to know whether you are eligible or not, or follow the eligibility requirements that we mentioned above.

Sometimes a local PHA would prioritize particular persons getting housing assistance. Local inhabitants, for example, or people experiencing homelessness, may be given priority treatment. If you qualify, notify the PHA as soon as possible so that your wait period is as low as feasible.

Step 2. Fill out the application form and submit

Next, you have to fill out the application form and prepare necessary documents, including your income, citizenship status, etc. You can find the application form free online or by mail.

Step 3. Finding the waiting list in your area

You’ll find out your waiting list status when you’ve submitted your application. If you reside in a high-demand location for Section 8 housing, you may be on the waiting list for years. After your application has been completed, you may check your waiting list status via an online portal.

Step 4. Finding an affordable housing

If you receive the voucher, the PHA will notify you. You should find affordable housing that accepts Section 8 voucher and meet the PHA requirements within 60 days.

After choosing a house, you will sign a lease with the landlord. The PHA then will pay about 70% of your rent directly to your landlord.
Hanfincal (hanfincal.com) has already shown you what is Section 8 Housing. We hope you can know more clearly about this HCV program. To apply for Section 8 in your state, click the lists of articles below to get step-by-step guidelines.

==> Read More:

==> Finding the Section 8 application process in your state here: