Housing in America, especially in a hustle and bustle city like New York, is more likely expensive. So, Section 8 is life-saving for your financial situation if you usually struggle with your monthly rent. If you wonder how to apply for Section 8 in New York, Hanfincal (hanfincal.com) brings you the guideline today. Are you excited? If so, discover the information below.
1. Application instructions for Section 8 Housing in New York (NYC)
Section 8 Housing in New York is a federal rental assistance program that provides low-income families with rental assistance and homeownership to afford safe and sanitary housing. Section 8 services are administered by the New York State Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) and Public Housing Authorities (PHAs). The funds for this Section 8 program come from the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
The Section 8 program in New York only covers a portion of the total rent. The participant must pay the remaining portion, typically 30% of the total rent. The rental subsidy from Section 8 will be paid directly to the landlord by the PHA.
Section 8 services in New York include:
2. Who can qualify for Section 8 Housing in New York City (NYC)?
To qualify for Section 8 housing in New York, you must meet these requirements:
- Income limits: Your annual household income should be less than the income limit of 50% of the median income. Individuals and families earning 30% or less of the median income are prioritized.
- Citizenship: At least one family member must be a citizen of the United States or a legal immigrant.
- Criminal history involving drugs: Applicants who have previously been evicted from public housing due to drug-related criminal activity are ineligible for Section 8 rental assistance for three years from the date of eviction.
3. How to apply for Section 8 in New York?
To apply for Section 8 housing in New York, you should follow these steps:
- Step 1: Determine whether or not your local PHAs are accepting applications. You can go to the NYCHA Self Service Portal website or call the automated Section 8 status hotline at (718) 707-7771.
- Step 2: Complete a pre-application form or a full application, as directed by your PHA. It will request your name, address, phone number, social security number, and other personal information. After determining your eligibility for the program, you will be placed on the waiting list once you have completed this step.
- Step 3: When your name is called from the waiting list, PHA will contact you for an interview and final document verification to determine your eligibility for the program.
Do you take more than a year but didn’t get a Section 8 voucher? To receive Section 8 HCV fast, we can help you here.
4. Section 8 waiting lists that are open in New York
Many Section 8 waiting lists are available in New York, for example:
- Referral only New York City, New York: It opens until June 8th, 2030, at 12:00 am.
- Cattaraugus County, New York: It was last updated on March 28th, 2022.
- Chautauqua County, New York Limited: It was last updated on March 25th, 2022.
- Cohoes, NY Section 8 HCV waiting list: It was last updated on December 17th, 2021
- Geneva, New York: It was last updated on June 28th, 2021.
- Plattsburgh, New York: It was last updated on April 15th, 2021.
- St. Lawrence County, NY Section 8 HCV and PBV waiting list: It was last updated on January 10th, 2020.
Don’t worry if you do all the steps above on how to apply for Section 8 in New York (NYC), but you still do not get your desired result. This is because Section 8 waiting lists in this state are usually extremely long. Hanfincal (hanfincal.com) recommends that you should apply for multiple waiting lists in this situation. That can be a great help.
==> Read More:
- How To Apply For Section 8?
- What Is Section 8 Housing?
- How To Get Section 8 Immediately?
- How To Find Section 8 Housing?
- Section 8 Waiting List That Are Open Now
- How To Qualify For Section 8 Housing?
- How To Get Low Income Housing Fast?
- What Is Affordable Housing?
- Newest Entitled Low-Income Housing Programs
- How To Apply For Rental Assistance?
- What Does Subsidized Housing Mean?
- How To Apply For Food Stamps In New York?