How to apply for Section 8 in Georgia (GA)? Hanfincal bet you are struggling with the application process when you want to get a housing voucher to cover the rental fee in this state. Don’t worry, this article will help. Read our detailed guidelines below.
1. What is Georgia Section 8 Housing Voucher
The Georgia Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher is the program that provides low-income families in Georgia safe and sanitary housing. The program is managed by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs (DCA), the state-level HUD provider. Through its House Choice Voucher program, qualifying households can get a voucher to cover a part of their monthly rent.
You have the choice of:
- Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- Public Housing.
If you are a full-time resident in Georgia, you can access Section 8 Housing Assistance in this state.
2. How To Qualify For Section 8 Housing In Georgia (GA)?
To qualify for Section 8 Housing in Georgia, you must:
- Meet the income limits (less than 50 percent of the median income in Georgia) specified by HUD. This is based on your family size and income.
- Be a U.S citizen or eligible immigrant.
- Be a full-time resident in Georgia.
- Be 18 years old or older.
3. How To Apply For Section 8 In Georgia
To apply for Georgia Section 8, you need to contact DCA by calling (888) 858-6085 or visiting the DCA website to get information about the opening date.
Once the waiting list is open, you should prepare some documents below to apply:
- Form of Preliminary Application.
- Social Security number.
- Third-party evidence to verify all income, spending, assets, and other eligibility-related issues.
- Signed consent forms.
Remember that preliminary applications are only accepted through the website DCA Applicant Portal. If you want help applying for a Section 8 Housing Voucher, you can click the button below to push your application process.
After you complete the preliminary applications form and prepare all necessary documents, return them to DCA Office. DCA will evaluate the family composition and income to determine program eligibility. If you are chosen, DCA will confirm your program eligibility.
Then, DCA will enter into a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract with the landlord to offer rental assistance to qualified renters. Households seeking help will be required to sign a standard tenant contract with their landlord.
After reading this article, Hanfincal hopes you will know how to apply for Section 8 in Georgia. If you still have any concerns about the process, leave the comment below for us to get help.
==> Read More:
- How To Apply For Section 8?
- What Is Section 8 Housing?
- How To Get Section 8 Immediately?
- How To Find Section 8 Housing?
- Section 8 Waiting List That Are Open Now
- How To Qualify For Section 8 Housing?
- How To Get Low Income Housing Fast?
- What Is Affordable Housing?
- Newest Entitled Low-Income Housing Programs
- How To Apply For Rental Assistance?
- What Does Subsidized Housing Mean?
- How To Apply For Food Stamps In Georgia?
I just moved to Cartersville with my 3-year-old boy a week ago. I wanna apply for section 8. Do you know how long the waiting list is for Section 8 in Georgia?
Hi Malaki, It takes 6 months or maybe 5 years for an applicant’s name to reach the top of the section 8 waiting list.
How many housing authorities are in Georgia?
Hi Royce, There are 188 public housing agencies in Georgia that manage 292 affordable housing waiting lists.