For those living in California (CA) who need housing help, the American government offers Section 8 housing programs. Here is the guideline on how to apply for Section 8 in California from Hanfincal (hanfincal.com). Don’t overlook it.
1. What is California Section 8 (Housing Choice Voucher) program?
The California Section 8 program is a federal housing help program that assists low-income families in obtaining affordable, safe, and sanitary housing. The California Section 8 Housing Program, also known as the Housing Choice Voucher Program, is administered by the California Public Housing Authority (PHA), with over 100 offices throughout the state.
The California PHA receives funds directly from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and uses them to administer its vouchers to beneficiaries. Aside from monthly rent help, a family may use its Section 8 vouchers to buy a reasonably priced home, particularly for first-time home buyers.
2. How to qualify for Section 8 in California?
There are 4 requirements for Section 8 housing in California (CA):
- Income range: These income eligibility requirements are determined by the size and income of the family. The PHA categorizes applicants into three income levels: low income, very low income, and extremely low income. Remember that nearly 75% of the vouchers are distributed to people with extremely low incomes.
- Low-income households are defined as 80% or more of the area’s median income.
- Very low-income households earn less than half of the area’s median income.
- Extremely low-income households earn less than 30% of the area’s median income.
- Household demographics: Citizens who have younger children, care for the elderly, are pregnant, or are disabled are frequently given preference.
- Citizenship: Applicants must be US citizens or have eligible immigration status.
- Disqualifying evictions: Evictions are disqualifying if you have been evicted from any Section 8 program for drug-related criminal activity within the last three years.
3. How to apply for Section 8 in California (CA)?
To apply for Section 8 in California, you must follow 4 steps below :
- Step 1: Begin your application process by contacting your local California Public Housing Authority office. Some addresses can be found here.
- Step 2: After contacting your local PHA, obtain, complete, and submit an application. There could be a paper application, or you could apply online. Prepare some additional documents too if the PHA requires them, including your Social Security number, the income of your household, etc.
- Step 3: You must wait for the PHA to process your application. Because waiting lists are so long, the California Housing Authority may move people up the list if they are particularly in need. If you have been waiting for a long time, contact the housing authority again and request an answer.
- Step 4: If your application is approved, you will be admitted to the California Section 8 (Housing Choice Voucher) program and given a housing choice voucher.
- Step 5: Find a house that meets HUD’s requirement standards and sign the contract as a tenant. The PHA will next pay about 70% of the monthly rent for your landlord.
4. California Section 8 Waiting Lists Open Now
There are 18 Section 8 Waiting Lists that are open now in California until further notice:
- Anaheim, CA Mainstream Section 8 HCV Waiting List.
- Butte and Glenn County, California Limited.
- Chronic Homelessness.
- City of Santa Paula.
- Encinitas, California.
- Housing Authority of the City of National City.
- Housing Authority of the City of San Buenaventura.
- Housing Authority of the County of Riverside, California.
- Humboldt County, California.
- Involuntarily Displaced.
- Kings County, California.
- Plumas County Community Development Commission & Housing Authority.
- Redding, California.
- San Diego County, California.
- San Diego, California.
- San Mateo County, California Moving to Work.
- Santa Ana, California Veteran.
- Tulare County, California.
Although applying for Section 8 is a relatively simple process, the waiting time may be considerable. Sometimes it lasts for some decades. Hanfincal (hanfincal.com) believes that this guideline on how to apply for Section in California (CA) from the article above can help you take the first step in this challenging process.
==> Read More:
- How To Apply For Section 8?
- What Is Section 8 Housing?
- How To Get Section 8 Immediately?
- How To Find Section 8 Housing?
- Section 8 Waiting List That Are Open Now
- How To Qualify For Section 8 Housing?
- How To Get Low Income Housing Fast?
- What Is Affordable Housing?
- Newest Entitled Low-Income Housing Programs
- How To Apply For Rental Assistance?
- What Does Subsidized Housing Mean?
- How To Apply For Food Stamps In California?