[Total: 1 Average: 5]

For most American veterans, ending their military mission for a long time to serve as brave soldiers is a new beginning. Many of them do not have a secure place to live either. Luckily, the U.S. government has issued affordable housing assistance for veterans. In the blog below, Hanfincal suggests the four biggest options.

1. Housing assistance for veterans’s permanent home

1.1. Specially Adapted Housing – SAH grant

Specially Adapted Housing is one of the biggest housing assistance programs for veterans’ permanent homes. It provides funding for home modifications to make veterans’ homes wheelchair accessible. 

  • SAH grant eligibility: A veteran must have a service-connected with disabilities, including:
    • At least one leg is lost or impaired.
    • Both arms are lost or disabled.
    • Both eyes are blind, and one leg is missing or nonfunctional.
    • Severe burns.
  • How to apply for SAH grant: You can apply for SAH grant in three ways:

Do not know where to begin to get Section 8 Voucher? Click the button below, we gives you one!


1.2. Special Housing Adaptation – SHA grant

Special Housing Adaptation helps disabled veterans who have served their country make the home modifications they need to remain in their own homes. Using this grant to buy a home that an eligible person has already modified is also possible.

  • SHA grant eligibility: Veterans must be:
    • Both eyes are completely blind.
    • No longer have a right and left hand.
    • Function has been lost due to a burn.
    • Have sustained a significant respiratory injury.
  • How to apply for SHA grant: You can apply for SHA grant in two ways:
    • The VA eBenefits portal allows you to apply for VA Special Housing Adaptation Grants using your DS Logon or Premium account.
    • You fill out and submit VA Form 26-4555, Application for Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant Form, by mail.

1.3. What is the difference between a SAH and SHA grant?

SHA and SAH grants differ in funding and eligible service-connected disabilities.

As mentioned above, the SAH grant is only available to veterans with service-connected disabilities. These include the loss or loss of function in at least one leg, the loss, or loss of function, in both arms, or blindness in both eyes, plus the loss, or loss of function, of a leg or, in certain conditions, severe burns.

On the other hand, the SHA Grant provides housing assistance for blindness, hand loss from a military injury, serious burns, or serious respiratory injuries.

2. Housing Assistance For Veterans’s Temporary Home

Housing Assistance For Veterans's Temporary Home

Housing Assistance For Veterans’s Temporary Home

2.1. Temporary Residence Adaptation – TRA grant

The VA Temporary Residence Adaptation Grant (TRA) funds veterans living temporarily in a family member’s home that must be adapted for the veteran.

  • TRA grant eligibility: You must be eligible for either a SAH or SHA grant and temporarily living in a family member’s home to apply for the TRA grant.
  • How to apply for TRA grant: You can apply for the TRAG grant through VA eBenefits.

2.2. Housing Voucher Program – Section 8

Housing choice vouchers help low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled afford safe, decent, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since this Section 8 housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants can find their own homes, townhouses, and apartments.

The housing choice voucher program is administered locally by PHAs (Public Housing Authority). The PHAs get HUD (United States Department of Housing and Urban Development) funds to administer the voucher program. Knowing the fundamental information about Section 8 is a first step to helping you how to apply for Section 8 immediately

Have you found one suitable housing help in the four affordable housing assistance for veterans that Hanfincal brought above? If you are eligible for these programs and fall under financial stress, do not hesitate to apply and receive help from the government. If you still have questions, let us know by leaving a comment below.