People who are homeless or at risk of being homeless can generally have a tough time finding a good house. In this post, Hanfincal (hanfincal.com) will share information about some housing assistance for homeless programs you can choose and apply for one.
1. Continuum of Care (CoC) Homeless Assistance Program
The (CoC) Continuum of Care Homeless Assistance Program is designed to assist families and individuals facing homelessness by supporting them move into permanent and transitional housing.
1.1. CoC Eligibility
To qualify for this program, you must risk losing a house or homelessness.
1.2. How To Apply For CoC?
In order to apply for CoC, you need to connect with your local administering agency. Besides, to find your local agency, you can go to the PHA contact information page.
2. CalWORKs Homeless Assistance
The CalWORKs Homeless Assistance Program supports families in the CalWORKs program by maintaining permanent housing and meeting the costs of securing or bringing emergency shelter when a family is facing homelessness.
2.1. CalWORKs Eligibility
Home Assistance supports CalWORKs eligible applicants or CalWORKs recipients who are at risk of homelessness or facing homelessness. For Housing Assistance, homelessness is identified in the Welfare and Institutions Code 11450.
CalWORKs Housing Assistance can give payments for temporary shelter for more than 16 days and expenses to maintain or secure housing, consisting of a last month’s rent and security deposit or more than two months of rent arrearages.
2.2. How To Apply For CalWORKs?
CalWORKs administrate the Homeless Assistance program at the county level. Connect your local county welfare office to apply or know more.
3. Section 8 Program
Section 8 Housing is the federal government’s program that assists low-income households with hygiene and safe homes. This program is managed and funded by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and is empowered under the Housing Act of 1937. Yet, local Public Housing Authorities handle vouchers.
The housing in this program can be townhouses, an apartment, and single-family homes and isn’t limited to units in the subsidized housing structures. If you are qualified for Section 8 Housing, you need to pay 30% of your rent each month, and the remaining 70% is paid directly to your landlord by the Public Housing Authorities.
Do you take more than a year but didn’t get a Section 8 voucher? Click here to receive immediately!
Here are two programs in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, consisting of:
- Project-based Voucher.
- Tenant-based rental assistance.
3.1. Section 8 Eligibility
Here are three qualification requirements that applicants must-have when applying for Section 8:
- Citizenship status: You must be an eligible alien or American citizen.
- Income limits: Your income can’t be up to 50% of the local region median income (AMI), followed by HUD. The income limits also depend on your family size and other factors.
- Criminal and eviction history: If you or a member family have an eviction or criminal record, you might be rejected from any of the Section 8 Program by your local Public Housing Authorities.
3.2. How To Apply For Section 8?
Here is an instruction you can refer to apply for a Section 8:
Step 1. Identify your qualification
You can work with the Public Housing Authorities to know whether you are qualified or not or refer to the eligibility requirements mentioned above.
Sometimes local Public Housing Authorities would prioritize specific individuals receiving housing assistance. For instance, local inhabitants or people facing homelessness may get priority treatment. If you are eligible, you must inform the PHA as soon as possible so that your wait time is as low as possible.
Step 2. Fill out the application form and submit
Afterward, you have to fill out the application form and prepare all necessary documents, including your citizenship status, income, etc. You can look for the application form free online or by email.
Step 3. Find the waiting list in your region
Once you have submitted your application, you will find your waiting list status. You may be on the waiting list for years if you live in a high-demand region for a Section 8 home. After submitting your application, you can check your waiting list status through an online portal.
Step 4. Look for a reasonable home
If you get the voucher, the Public Housing Authorities will inform you. You should find a reasonable home that receives a Section 8 voucher and meet the Public Housing Authorities requirements within 60 days.
After selecting a house, you will sign a lease with the lessor. The Public Housing Authorities will pay approximately 70% of your rent directly to your lessor.
This post provides basic information about housing assistance for homeless programs. Hanfincal (hanfincal.com) hopes you found the article helpful in finding an affordable home for your family.