Since many residents are facing the housing situation in Delaware, Hanfincal will provide you with information on how to apply for Section 8 in Delaware (DE). Read on if you are interested in the topic.
1. What is Section 8 Housing in Delaware?
The Delaware Section 8 Program provides affordable housing under the direction of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Residents of Delaware who are considered low-income and in need of safe and decent housing can apply for this program. When applying for Delaware Section 8 assistance, you have two options:
- Public Housing: The DHSA oversees the Delaware Public Housing program. It has 518 public housing units spread across ten sites across the state. You will be responsible for paying up to 35% of the rent and utilities, with the remainder covered by the Section 8 program.
- Housing Choice Voucher Program: The DHSA Housing Choice Voucher Program provides low-income families with housing subsidies. This program has a total of 902 Housing Choice vouchers available on a first-come, first-served basis. This Section 8 program connects you with privately owned, DHSA-subsidized rental units.
2. How To Qualify For Section 8 In Delaware?
Your income is the most important factor in qualifying for Delaware Section 8. Your household income cannot exceed 80% of the median income in your area. Here is a summary of Delaware’s income limits to help you identify the low-income brackets.
In addition, you must be enrolled in the Moving to Work (MIW) program. This is a mandatory program for low-income individuals that teaches self-sufficiency and job skills. Individuals who qualify for Section 8 based on income but are disabled or elderly are eligible for an exception to the program. Participants can receive Section 8 housing assistance for up to seven years through this program.
Other Delaware Section 8 qualifications include:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must reside in Delaware.
- You must be a US citizen or a permanent legal resident of the United States.
Other factors include a criminal record, assets, and previous rental history. When you apply for Delaware Section 8, each of these factors will be considered.
3. How To Apply For Section 8 In Delaware?
To apply for Section 8 housing in Delaware, you should follow these steps:
Step 1: You can contact or visit your Delaware Section 8 Local Public Housing Authority (PHA) office to have information about the application.
Lists of PHAs is in below:
- New Castle County HA.
- Delaware State HA.
- Dover HA.
- Newark HA.
- Wilmington HA.
New Castle County HA only provides Section 8 assistance, whereas the other four offer low-income programs. The application for the low-income housing program is available at your local DSHA office. When you receive the application, go over the instructions and, if necessary, ask for clarification.
Do you take more than a year but didn’t get a Section 8 voucher? To receive Section 8 HCV fast, we can help you here.
Step 3: Your application will be placed on the waiting list.
When a PHA authorizes a housing unit for an eligible family, the family and the landlord sign the contract. In the same time, the landlord and the PHA will sign a housing assistance payments contract. This implies that everyone in the voucher program has obligations and responsibilities, including the renter, landlord, and PHA.
4. Section 8 Waiting List That Are Open In Delaware
There are no open, opening soon, or always open waiting lists in Delaware as of May 18th, 2022. You can get more information by reading Affordable Housing in Delaware or the national list of Open Section 8 waiting lists.
|Waiting List||Status||Online Application?|
|Rice County, MN Limited Section 8 HCV Waiting List||Open Now||Yes|
|Erie County, NY Section 8 HCV Waiting List||Open until May 6th, 2022||Yes|
|City of St. Cloud and the Counties of Benton, Sherburne and Wright, MN Section 8 HCV Waiting List||Open until May 6th, 2022||Yes|
|Lenoir County, NC Section 8 HCV Waiting List||Open until May 20th, 2022||No|
|Kitsap and Mason County, WA Section 8 HCV Waiting List||Open until May 20th, 2022||Yes|
|Bergen County, NJ Section 8 HCV Waiting List||Open until May 20th, 2022||Yes|
|Limited Multi-County, OH Section 8 HCV Waiting List||Open until May 23rd, 2022||No|
|Napa County, CA Section 8 HCV Waiting List||Open until May 24th, 2022||Yes|
|Santa Ana, CA Section 8 HCV Waiting List||Open until May 31st, 2022||Yes|
|Santa Barbara, CA Section 8 HCV Waiting List||Open until June 1st, 2022||Yes|
|Kandiyohi County, MN Limited Section 8 HCV Waiting List||Open until August 31st, 2022||No|
|Referral Only New York City, New York||Open until June 8th, 2030||No|
|Hagerstown, Maryland Section 8 HCV Waiting List||Open until Application Limit is reached||Yes|
|DeKalb County, IL Section 8 HCV Waiting List||Open until Application Limit is reached||Yes|
Hanfincal hopes the instructions about how to apply for Section 8 in Delaware (DE) will help you get housing assistance as soon as possible. With Section 8 assistance, you can find your dream home or apartment early.
==> Read More:
- How To Apply For Section 8?
- What Is Section 8 Housing?
- How To Get Section 8 Immediately?
- How To Find Section 8 Housing?
- Section 8 Waiting List That Are Open Now
- How To Qualify For Section 8 Housing?
- How To Get Low Income Housing Fast?
- What Is Affordable Housing?
- Newest Entitled Low-Income Housing Programs
- How To Apply For Rental Assistance?
- What Does Subsidized Housing Mean?
- How To Apply For Food Stamps In Delaware?